When a business expands, and the existing Shared Hosting setup becomes inconvenient, users search the hosting spectrum for alternatives. Though Dedicated Hosting seems appealing, the cost associated tends to discourage the move. Here, VPS Hosting is the one that fits the puzzle best. Offering dedicated server resources but at a reduced price, VPS Hosting has been the top choice of budget-driven website owners.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS, the acronym for Virtual Private Server Hosting involves a single physical server, which is partitioned virtually to host multiple virtual server spaces. Every server has its dedicated resources – CPU, RAM and other resources, thus inducing the features and benefits of a Dedicated Server.
The said server virtualization is obtained by a hypervisor. The hypervisor has the job of segmenting the actual server into multiple others while maintaining the account isolation. Hypervisor-based virtualization ensures that every virtual space gets dedicated resources and the freedom to choose their own OS.
What is KVM VPS?
KVM or Kernel-based Virtual Machine, in simple words, is an open-source technology for executing server virtualization. It is built upon the Linux framework and allows conversion of a Linux-based physical server into multiple isolated virtual servers. KVM-based hypervisors allow for creating a server setup wherein the resources are dedicatedly allocated to each virtual server, thus guaranteeing a Dedicated Server-like setup.
The architecture of Kernel-Based Virtual Machine
- The KVM technology is ideally based on the Linux based kernel. KVM facilitates the execution of the kernel on the root node. This makes it easier to run multiple operating systems on a single server.
- With KVM, every hardware is expected to have its own virtualization extension which is further backed by the hypervisor. Installation of the KVM is done on the machine that would host the websites, giving a sense of virtualization, making it easier for the host to have different websites without affecting the speed or performance.
- It is seen that KVM can run both on 32 bit and 64-bit processors. The virtualization embedded is only for the existing resources on the host machine and the shared resources are further segmented and distributed by the hypervisor.
KVM Hypervisor – The Benefits
- KVM management is fostered by a hypervisor which acts like the interactive layer sandwiched between the guest OS and the host hardware. All of the hardware management to connect and collaborate with the software is done by the KVM hypervisor.
- Put simply, it is this hypervisor that leads to the successful implementation of virtualization as the single host machine can connect and work on different virtual machines at the same time while effectively utilizing the resources in hand. This, in a way, optimizes the functionality and enhances the overall performance of the system.
- In addition to the above, the KVM Hypervisor comes with a MAC layer that instills another level of security within the hosting preventing unauthorized access.
In a nutshell, KVM Hypervisor is a crucial component of Linux VPS Hosting architecture. Assess your hosting requirements and evaluate all the aspects before finalizing your VPS Hosting plan. Ensure that they are offering a KVM-based hypervisor, integrated control panel, full root access, advanced DDoS protection, seamless scalability and stable server setup. This will ensure that you avail VPS Hosting that comprehensively fulfils your web hosting requirements.